Pick, Blog and Roll

Friday, June 23, 2006

I'd like some "Garbaj" on the menu

This isn't recent news, but the Raptors are in the mix to sign Spanish league Unicaja forward Jorge Garbajosa to a contract. The signing was initially thought to be a done deal, until RealGM reported on June 12th that Phoenix is also in the mix. Which, it turns out, isn't all that surprising given that Garbajosa used to play under Mike D'Antoni at Benetton Treviso.

(Yes, another Italian connection. And on a related note, I learned the other day that Rasho Nesterovic also played in the Italian leagues before being drafted by the Timberwolves in 1998.)

Having just watched this video (which also includes footage of another player, who is apparently not NBA-worthy -- I guess he never played in Italy), I'm in favor of the move. Yeah, call me old-fashioned, but I like players who:

a) play defense
b) block shots
c) run
d) slash to the basket

"Garbaj", as he's called by myself and a few of his other closest friends, is the anti-Bonner. He doesn't hoist up as many 3-pointers. But he does everything else.

The Raptors won't find out if they've won the Garba sweepstakes until mid-July. In the meantime, I'll be brushing up on my Spanish visiting Babelfish in preparation of the welcome.

┬┐Hola Sr. Garbajosa, usted tienen gusto de un contrato?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home